Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Father Save Me From this Hour?

John 12:27-36 (NRSV)

27 "Now my heart is troubled, and what shall I say? 'Father, save me
from this hour'? No, it was for this very reason I came to this hour.
28 Father, glorify your name!"

Then a voice came from heaven, "I have glorified it, and will glorify
it again." 29 The crowd that was there and heard it said it had
thundered; others said an angel had spoken to him.

30 Jesus said, "This voice was for your benefit, not mine. 31 Now is
the time for judgment on this world; now the prince of this world will
be driven out. 32 But I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw
all men to myself." 33 He said this to show the kind of death he was
going to die.

34 The crowd spoke up, "We have heard from the Law that the Christ
will remain forever, so how can you say, 'The Son of Man must be
lifted up'? Who is this 'Son of Man'?"

35 Then Jesus told them, "You are going to have the light just a
little while longer. Walk while you have the light, before darkness
overtakes you. The man who walks in the dark does not know where he is
going. 36 Put your trust in the light while you have it, so that you
may become sons of light." When he had finished speaking, Jesus left
and hid himself from them.


***

This passage is perfect to study as we find ourselves in the midst of
holy week. It is hitting me now as I write this reflection just how
fast this season of Lent has gone for me! I am feeling a bit guilty
for not keeping up with my Lenten discipline as well as I had
intended, but also feeling blessed and loved because I'm human, I'm a
"daughter of light," and I'm going to be ok with Him by my side.

I find that for me to fully appreciate the words of this passage, I
need to hear them through prayer and song. These few examples below
have helped me to grasp just what Jesus was going through as he
predicted and experienced his crucifixion. This is found on page 272
in the Book of Common Prayer:
Almighty and everliving God, in your tender love for the human race
you sent your Son our Savior Jesus Christ to take upon him our nature,
and to suffer death upon the cross, giving us the example of his great
humility: Mercifully grant that we may walk in the way of his
suffering, and also share in his resurrection; through Jesus Christ
our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God,
for ever and ever. AMEN.

I am then able to be inspired to take His challenge to follow the
light and know that I am not alone. This South African spiritual was
a song I sang at summer camp but it reminds me of how joyful walking
with God can be!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hm3SmokTXI0&feature=related

This hymn, "I want to walk as a child of the light," is also a
powerful witness to how we can be children of the light of Jesus and
know his love more closely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL3o5k1J7L8&feature=related

I hope you find these helpful in understanding what is being said here
and continue to get creative with different mediums when you study the
bible.

No comments: