Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Ash Wednesday



LUKE 18:9-14 (NRSV)
9[Jesus] also told this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous and regarded others with contempt: 10"Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax-collector. 11The Pharisee, standing by himself, was praying thus, 'God, I thank you that I am not like other people: thieves, rogues, adulterers, or even like this tax-collector. 12I fast twice a week; I give a tenth of all my income.' 13But the tax-collector, standing far off, would not even look up to heaven, but was beating his breast and saying, 'God, be merciful to me, a sinner!' 14I tell you, this man went down to his home justified rather than the other; for all who exalt themselves will be humbled, but all who humble themselves will be exalted."
***
As we begin our Lenten journey together, this parable from St. Luke's Gospel encapsulates a teaching of Jesus: "Be humble". In his story, Jesus equates being humble with a tax collector who acknowledges his sinfulness before God and asks for mercy. "I tell you," insists Jesus, "this man went home justified, rather than the [Pharisee]."
We all know why the Pharisee ends up on the outs in this parable, his prayer is totally conceited: "God, I thank you that I am not like other people...or even like this tax-collector." That's just wrong, to glance over at a fellow parishioner across the aisle from behind folded hands, then raise your eyes back to the heavens and mutter, "Thank God I'm not like him."
Notice, then, the significant distinction between the two prayers offered in this parable. The Pharisee gives thanks to God for what he is not, but the tax collector prays for God's mercy precisely because he admits to what he is. In a very real and human way, the tax collector's humility is a reflection of his ability to be honest with himself and with God.
And so, Jesus' parable extends an invitation to each of us. It is an invitation to begin Lent from a place of humble honesty. Do I have the humility to admit to the limits of my love and acceptance that sometimes cause me to fail in honoring God and my neighbor as I should? Am I honestly ready to trust in and accept God's promise of forgiveness, healing, and restoration if I choose to seek it?
As brothers and sisters in faith, let us both encourage and be encouraged by each other throughout Lent to ask God for such humility and honesty. And let us not forget the tax collector, who, knowing himself to be imperfect, went to the temple and was heard by God when he prayed: "God, be merciful to me, a sinner!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This makes the think of the relationship between humility and the word humus--earth--and knowing, today, that we are really just made up of dust. Knowing where we are is the only worthwhile starting point, isn't it?