Sunday, February 28, 2010

Lent 2

Luke 13:31-35

Some Pharisees came and said to Jesus, "Get away from here, for Herod wants to kill you." He said to them, "Go and tell that fox for me, 'Listen, I am casting out demons and performing cures today and tomorrow, and on the third day I finish my work. Yet today, tomorrow, and the next day I must be on my way, because it is impossible for a prophet to be killed outside of Jerusalem.' Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to it! How often have I desired to gather your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you were not willing! See, your house is left to you. And I tell you, you will not see me until the time comes when you say, 'Blessed is the one who comes in the name of the Lord.'"

* * *

As I read Luke 13:31-35, I was struck by how in it Luke upends the ordinary roles we (or at least I) expect from both Jesus and the Pharisees. Whether my surprise is a function of an incomplete understanding of the context of this story or is a normal reaction to Luke's effort to keep us on our toes, this passage certainly provided some food for thought.

First, it is interesting to see the Pharisees assuming what appears to be a protective role with respect to Jesus. After all, are these not the same Pharisees who from my earliest Sunday School memories are held up as targets of scorn, the quintessential examples of what not to do and how not to behave if one wishes to truly live a Godly life? Yet here they are rushing to warn Jesus that Herod is plotting to kill Him. But perhaps I give those crafty Pharisees too much credit; are they perhaps acting in an entirely self-interested manner? Consider that Jesus is performing miracles (casting out demons, healing the sick, etc.); this cannot help but leave the Pharisees, who must be accustomed to being the "big deal" in town, looking and feeling second-rate. Are they perhaps, then, simply feigning concern for Jesus and ushering him out of town in an effort to rid themselves of an unwanted rival?

Second, Luke tells us of a somewhat different Jesus from the one of which I usually find myself thinking (again, perhaps due to visions ingrained in Sunday School as a youth). Is it not a bit surprising to hear of Jesus acting so cocky? This is not Jesus-as-martyr or Jesus-as-teacher, this is Jesus as tough guy, telling "that fox" Herod that he'll leave Jerusalem when he's darn good and ready! I envision a tent-revival-type setting, with Jesus at the middle of a crowd, healing, preaching, exorcising, etc., when all of a sudden a few Pharisees enter from stage right, whisper in His ear, perhaps expecting Him to scurry offstage to some secure location. But of course Jesus defies them and instead keeps right on doing what he's doing, with more bluster and bravado than I'm used to seeing!

Yet then, in yet another twist, Jesus seems to retreat from His bluster, only to express Himself in yet another somewhat unfamiliar way, like a frustrated parent throwing his hands up in exasperation at kids who, despite his best efforts, just won't listen. Why, Jerusalem? Why won't you just help me help you?

All of this leads up to a third seemingly unusual picture of Jesus: Jesus in a fit of pique. Here is Jesus at the end of the passage essentially taking his toys and going home! He tells the people of Jerusalem, "Fine! You don't want me? I'm outta here, and I ain't comin' back until you change your tune!"

Luke definitely threw me a curveball in this passage, one which forced me to admit that too often I find myself neglecting to explore the multifaceted nature of some of the most familiar Biblical figures.

No comments: